Tooth-Colored Fillings – Tyler, TX
Virtually Invisible Cavity Repair
For generations, the only option to repair teeth that had been damaged by decay was to get a filling made of amalgam, or a mixture of various metals. Not only did this shine a spotlight on your dental work, but it caused numerous oral health issues down the road. As a trusted restorative dentist, Dr. Dennis E. Stansbury takes great pride in his ability to treat cavities with tooth-colored fillings in Tyler, TX instead. We can restore the size, strength, and structure of decayed teeth with a safer and more aesthetically pleasing option. To learn more about how tooth-colored fillings can help you grin confidently while also healing your smile, contact Stansbury Dental today!
Why Choose Stansbury Dental for Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- Dentist with 40+ Years of Experience
- Treatments 100% Personalized for Each Patient
- State-of-the-Art Dental Technology & Techniques
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Up until the late 20th century, amalgam fillings were the standard for repairing decayed teeth. They were made of a compound that contained metals such as copper, tin, silver, and even trace amounts of mercury. As a result, they immediately stood out in your smile.
Due to recent advancements in dental technology, most dentists are shifting toward a safer and more discrete alternative that uses a material called composite resin. This biocompatible, putty-like substance is made of fine particles of glass and plastic. Because it forms a chemical bond with your tooth enamel, it offers countless advantages over amalgam fillings.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
The most obvious benefit of tooth-colored fillings is right there in the name: they’re designed to blend in with the rest of your smile for virtually invisible cavity repair. In addition to delivering more attractive results, tooth-colored fillings also:
- Retain more of your natural tooth structure. With amalgam fillings, a significant amount of enamel had to be removed in order to make room. Because tooth-colored fillings directly bond to the tooth, little if any enamel removal is required.
- Protect the tooth against further decay. The composite resin creates a barrier that prevents bacteria from reaching the center of the tooth.
- Result in less temperature sensitivity. The direct bond the resin forms also shields your tooth’s nerves from becoming aggravated by hot or cold foods and drinks.
- Last just as long as amalgam fillings. As long as you brush, floss, and visit your dentist in Tyler for checkups and cleanings on a regular basis, they should be able to last a decade or more.
The Process of Getting Tooth-Colored Fillings
The tooth-colored fillings procedure is usually a quick and painless one. Dr. Stansbury can often finish the treatment in an hour or less. Plus, in most cases, you will be given a local anesthetic beforehand to numb your mouth and maximize your comfort.